Raising the compression?

turbodaily

gear change hard on quaiffe

running a quaiffe gearset in my R, Problem is i find the gear change abit hard, mainly when trying to change gear fast, bit stiff going into gears, but if you push the clutch right down to the floor it seems to be better, but its hard to do when driving in anger. often crunch the gear when trying to change into 2nd fast. has been like it since day one of buying the car and have learned to live with it but its getting in my nerves now :doh:

any idea's? could it be the pedal needs adjusting? if so what way do i winde the adjuster?

cheers chaps

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
If its brand new and just been built it will take some miles before its starts to loosen up.. Thats normal..

If its an older one then it could be your selector fork, release bearing, linkages.. Something along those lines..

O

Odin

How old is the clutch ?, Also check the fluid in the reservoir to see if it's low or has gone black, You could need new cylinders if it's black or low due to leaking seals.

Rob

turbodaily

the box and engine has covered about 40k now. i did check the clutch res a while ago and it was empty so i refilled it and bled the clutch but cant say it was any better..

so you guys think its not something simple like pedal adjustment? (lol silly question really nothings ever simple on the R)

cheers guys

turbodaily

just checked the fluid level and its still within the level. if you sit stationary with engine running and goes through the gears with clutch pushed right on the floor it engages gear ok'ish, but lift the clutch an inch and its not as easy to get into gears.

turbodaily

also i dont know if its worth mentioning but sometimes when i try to select first gear i get somewhere in between 1st and 3rd.. you can feel the clutch bight but theres no drive. think this happens more often from cold.

O

Odin

turbodaily said:
also i dont know if its worth mentioning but sometimes when i try to select first gear i get somewhere in between 1st and 3rd.. you can feel the clutch bight but theres no drive. think this happens more often from cold.

I don't see how you could be selecting those 2 gears because they are on different selector forks I believe :? :doh: .

Maybe you have a bent selector fork, Also did you find out why the reservoir was empty before ?, Brake/clutch fluid doesn't just disappear for no reason

Rob

turbodaily

rob, it gets stuck between 1st and 3rd looking at the gear lever, so wether thats something different further down im not sure..

i didnt find out why it had no fluid. i was just doing some checks after buying the car and noticed it, so topped it up and bled the clutch hoping it was that but no joy. the fluid hasnt gone down since

im just wondering if its possible the pedal needs adjusting as it might not be engaging/disengaging fully?

O

Odin

turbodaily said:
im just wondering if its possible the pedal needs adjusting as it might not be engaging/disengaging fully?

Try getting someone else to push the clutch pedal down while you check the throw of the slave cylinder rod, You can then see if it's moving out of the slave cylinder all the way, If it is then try adjusting the pedal to suit you favored pedal feel.

But if the clutch fork is getting it's full range of movement then you may have to look internally to source the problem.

Rob

markweatherill

OK so now the transfer gear / viscous coupling is out of the transfer case. I made up a plate to cover the gaping hole. The car seems more peppy than before, certainly. On a GtiR you might find traction becoming a problem!
And Bob I agree a FWD transmission would be good, as the transfer case itself is just dead weight now. Or, if I could source a driveshaft to go in the existing transmission all the way to the wheel hub...

turbodaily

just had a look up the drivers footwell and see that theres fluid weeping around the rubber boot where the master cylinder rod sticks out... :?

O

Odin

turbodaily said:
just had a look up the drivers footwell and see that theres fluid weeping around the rubber boot where the master cylinder rod sticks out... :?

Theirs your problem then old chap, You need a new master cylinder ;-) .

Rob

Braveheart

Good Stuff.... I'd like to see how it drives. Can I get a shot?... :)
Classifications for the GTiR means you are up against some high powered 4WD (modern) cars and they take some beating. It would be fun to enter a FWD pulsar in other FWD cars.

turbodaily

hope so, would rather have to do that than drop the lump this time of year...
just wondering though, its still on the half way mark on the fluid level, so shouldnt it still be functioning right, even if its weeping abit? or would this make a big difference?

thanks for the help, apreciated matey 8)

antgtir

Id be tempted to check the clutch fork to as these sometimes bend or break therefore making selection very hard.

Take the rubber boot off from around the fork and look into the bell housing to see if there are obvious signs of the fork being mis shaped.

I presume no one has ever changed the seals in a master cyclinder then? Would this not be a better solution especially if you are able to do this in stu? cheaper to.

Ant.

turbodaily

well this is the thing, i thought if it was something to do with the fork or the engine needds dropping for whatever reason i could kill 2 birds with one stone and do the master cylinder whilst the engines out..

i did wonder if i could see the fork by looking down past the boot..? is it possible then?

turbodaily said:
but if you push the clutch right down to the floor it seems to be better,
You should always engage the clutch fully when changing gear, otherwise you won't get a good gear change, not on any synchro box.