Raising the compression?

markweatherill

Next to go will be the rear differential. It looks like the rear wheels would be adequately suspended without the driveshafts, I wonder if that's true?

If so, the differential is coming out. As I don't want it hanging around, I could offer it to anyone willing to remove it safely and dismantle the rear CV joints which I think would need to remain in the hubs. Any thoughts anyone?

leemh

no it's my space ship.lol...seriously if anyone know off any where good in the cambs/beds area please let me know.

leemh

thanks for all the comments guys think im going to have a go at this myself.even if it does take a bit of time...lol

Smo

Removing passenger side driveshaft (front)?

Hey guys, I'm replacing both my front driveshafts and I've come across star-shaped bolts, six of them, on the passenger side holding the driveshaft in place. Anyone know what tool/size I'll need to whip them out?

Cheers.

Smo

Cheers for the help pal. But from what I gather these bolts aren't connecting the shaft to the box? They must be, surely?

Smo

Thanks for the advice - but I couldn't get the ****er out anyway. I couldn't push the suspension arm down far enough to get the bolt out of the mount. Every time the splitter kept slipping out and after several times punching the ground I've given up for now.

vss irvine

tut tut tut, balljoint splitters are bad news mate, get your self a good hammer, and carefully hit the hub where the balljoint seats. this should 'pop' the ball joint to hub.
then get a nice long piece of scaffy bar, and pull the wishbone down.
if your not used to doing this, then get someone to help you.

balljoint splitters tend to pinch the rubber boot and cause premature wear, meaning a balljoint replacement.

vss irvine

if you do that its going to be even harder to pull the hub outwards as the arb droplink will have to come with it. ok if its on the ramp, but not if your rumbling about on the floor.

geoff pine

I took mine out that way and put them back the same way with no problems at all with the car on axle stands ,why job build ?.

P

pulsarboby

yep agree with geoff, is easy to get them out that way! only downside is unless the bolts are seated in exatly the same position as they were removed, it will alter the track alignment as a lot of suspension legs are slotted.

i do them the other way because of this, at the end of the day its only a ball joint that needs removing and lever the arm downwards, then pop shaft out.

vss irvine

geoff pine said:
I took mine out that way and put them back the same way with no problems at all with the car on axle stands ,why job build ?.
job build?
theres less to take apart and less chance of anything going wrong by splitting at the balljoint.

the bolts on the rear wishbone mount have been known to cease and break the captive welding inside the bodyshell.

everyone has their own way, but ill stick to the way ive been doing it for the last 10 years!:thumb:

Smo

Cheers guys - the problem has gotten worse!

Decided to approach it differently, this time I undid the steering rack and the two bolts holding the hub to the strut.

Here's where it gets tricky. My problem initially was that the passenger side driveshaft snapped and the driver's side was within mm's of doing the same. So half the driver's side shaft is out, but we can't remove the rest from the box because the passenger side shaft is snapped and spins when we try. On top of that, we can't undo the six nuts holding the passenger side shaft in place because the driver's side is in half and does exactly the same.

I realise trying to remove the driver's side shaft first was a mistake, but I'm inexperienced and realise my error, I don't need criticism as the problem in itself is punishment enough, I just need your help. What the hell do I do? Could I possibly hold the driver's side with some mole grips and elbow grease while my mate undoes the six bolts on the passenger side?

Help!

Last edited:
B

Big-G

Gearbox Whine

Hi all, just brought myself an R for a resonable price, i have a whine coming from somewhere, mostly it's there when decelerating from 40mph to 0 and it gets more noticeable at around 20mph, i'm not sure if its doing it when accelerating as it has a mongoose exhaust (witch will be getting changed at the earlyest opportunity) also its hard to get into 1st when rolling and cold, once warmed up all gears feel fine, many thanks in advance Paul.

geoff pine

Why don't you just put along flat bladed screwdriver between the gearbox and shaft and gently pry it out ? It was the only way i could get my drivers side shaft out

Last edited: