Raising the compression?

rx jamie

i think you might be lucky. cant see it being the box..but you never know.
try driving it without the clutch, up and down the road. see if you can select the gears.

MINESGTIR

scottgtirxxx said:
Help please! I am no expert but i think my clutch has just gone, i always thought you got some warning i.e slipping, but today my girlfriend was just pulling into our street when she heard a noise and then could not get the car into gear. .

theres ya problem.... GTI-R'S ARE NOT FOR GIRLS :lol: :lol:

GTi-R23

MINESGTIR said:
theres ya problem.... GTI-R'S ARE NOT FOR GIRLS :lol: :lol:
Beat me to it!:lol:

I feel for ya mate, anything clutch/'box related is quite a job to do yourself and will cost £££ getting someone else to do it.

Can you select any gears with the engine not running?

davey red.r

surprised theres no lass members replied to this sexist thread:-o

not to worry, they must be too busy washing,ironing or doing the dishes:lol: :lol:

regards sid the sexist

tits oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooout:lol:

Not yet daveyboy i am going to get a clutch and get someone to do it for me next week, while it's in the garage i am getting the gearbox rebuilt as 5th gear was starting to crunch a little when i gave it some.

davey red.r

you getting your box shotpeened?whats your plans power wise ?just i went through 2 standard boxes in no time :cry: :cry: maybes just bad luck?whats the cost of your rebuild going to be? just went quaiffe in the end as my plans are 400hp sauce soon:-D

davey;-)

Jonnie R

Pauter X-Beam Con Rods - Feedback??

Hi,

I've been a silent member for some time and found all your experiences and guides very useful. After 3 years trouble free my gearbox spat its dummy out so I'm building the whole car up into, hopefully, an unforgiving monster. With minimal machanical history its going to take me many many months - it took me few weekends (I work away a lot) just to get the engine out (single handed with 2 trolly jacks + skateboard :-D )

I've tried the search with no luck.

Does anyone have any feedback on these con rods? I found them on Eric's ebay store. I had originally planned to use Eagles but feedback was mixed and didn't want to take the risk. The advertisment states:

This listing is for (4) brand new Pauter X-Beam Connecting Rods for the Nissan SR20DET engines found in the RNN14 GTIR Pulsar. These rods are for use with the GTIR 19mm wide Rod Bearings. All other SR20DE & SR20DET engines use 17mm wide rod bearings. We have those available as well.

Engine: Nissan SR20DET
Pin Diameter: .894"
Big End Bore: 2.008"
Length: 5.360"
Big End Width: .856"
Weight: 560 Grams
Rod Bearing WIdth: 19mm (GTIR Specific)

Part #: NIS-220-510-1361F-GTIR

These rods use an X-Beam style rod that is different from the typical "I", "H" or "A" beam. These X-Beam rods are very strong and resist cracking due to the X-Beam design. These rods are made to withstand the force from the highest horsepower & highest RPM engines.

Specifications:

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">E4340 vacuum melt chrome moly forging <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">CNC machined <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Heat-treated to Rockwell C36 <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">full coverage shotpeened <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">end-to-end balanced in sets <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Pauter 220kpsi tensile strength MSP220 steel, J-formed, rolled thread racing rod bolts standard <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Aluminum-bronze wrist pin bushings (standard)
  • EDM pressure-fed oiling to pin (available at $45 per rod)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pauter-Rods-X-Beam-Nissan-SR20DET-RNN14-GTIR-Pulsar_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ008QQitemZ180173126537QQtcZphoto

Spec of R before GB failure:
Full HKS exhaust (tubby elbow back)
Decat
Uprated injectors
Exedy clutch and cover
Exedy lightened + balanced flywheel
Apexi Power FC ECU
Apexi AVCR (1.2Bar)

Other parts ordered so far in case people ask:
JUN titanium double valve springs
JUN valve guides
JUN Retainers (type 1)
TOMEI (270) cams
Greddy rocker arm stoppers
JE 87mm top coated pistons
ACL race series (calico coated) rod, main, and thrust bearings
Cometic head gasket
ARP head & crank studs

Items yet to be ordered:
Rods
Water pump
Oil pump
Quaife gear set
3076 tubby
Starter recon
Alt recon
Transfer recon?
injectors
MAF
+ other ancillaries (massive list)

Thanks in advance,
Jonnie

stumo

KF79GTIR said:
Why waste your monies on a set of rods how many times have you heard of standard ones to fail?

Kev
Cos they look good! (and they're 150g lighter (each))

Jonnie R

Thanks for your replies:thumbsup:. Didn't want to make the order without hearing some of your views

I read that the std rods were questionable after 400hp and if I'm spending the amount of money that I have planned, I didn't want to risk the build using std rods - Also thinking of getting new liners installed as certain tubbies that I have been looking at, in particular the 3076 upwards, take longer to spool than the 3071 and may need to extend the rev range, which then comes down to the rods but I have not researched this enough to come to a decision. Have many people gone down this route??

S

str_motorsport

i have the pauter and pauer now carries ros for 19mm wide bearing because i have sent them a set of bearings and they custom machined them...they now have them in theyr database..
they are the best rod in the market and over 160 gr lighter than the stock ones.
Perfectly balanced too
get them mate...

CruiseGTi-R

As above. I also have just installed Pauter rods from Eric's.

Mine took 7 weeks to turn up as I ordered them with EDM drilling and little grooves cut in the face for extra oiling (see Pauter website).

Yes the stock ones are strong, but for the extra lightness, balanced, revability and the fact your stock ones might be a little out of tolerance after 100k miles (see the pains to which the manual asks to check the stock rods...), new Pauters will be a life long friend in your block :-D .