Raising the compression?

soin

thats what i was told too , however at this stage we are using a scooby sti maf , dont ask me , two tuners seem to think it ok ,, as far as the q45 having a selection within the power fc i will run this past them tommorro as i think im gonna be charged for the sti maf , should be getting the car back tommorro .. does everyone suffer with this bad idle or can it be sorted ,, i know its a inherant R bugbear but i cant see what s left to make the idle so bad .. cheers for everyone s two pennith mucho appreciated

davey red.r

soin said:
thats what i was told too , however at this stage we are using a scooby sti maf , dont ask me , two tuners seem to think it ok ,, as far as the q45 having a selection within the power fc i will run this past them tommorro as i think im gonna be charged for the sti maf , should be getting the car back tommorro .. does everyone suffer with this bad idle or can it be sorted ,, i know its a inherant R bugbear but i cant see what s left to make the idle so bad .. cheers for everyone s two pennith mucho appreciated
my idle sometimes its fine
then other days it races
and goes up and down couple of times:?
ive had 3 rrrs now and all 3 have been the same.

davey;-)

Fusion Ed

Get more than 380 from a Q45. Just read the thread. Kind of random with the tuning guys. Replacing the aacv was a bit excessive too.

If a car will not idle low enough its pretty much always a mechanical fault, i.e. air leak, incorrect pipework, incorrect throttle bodies etc...
Way to test is to measure the manifold pressure whilst loading the engine to about 900 rpm. You want around -0.5 bar if your in -0.3 to -0.4 bar then the car will never idle properly as too much air is entering the engine.

davey red.r

Micra Ed said:
Get more than 380 from a Q45. Just read the thread. Kind of random with the tuning guys. Replacing the aacv was a bit excessive too.

If a car will not idle low enough its pretty much always a mechanical fault, i.e. air leak, incorrect pipework, incorrect throttle bodies etc...
Way to test is to measure the manifold pressure whilst loading the engine to about 900 rpm. You want around -0.5 bar if your in -0.3 to -0.4 bar then the car will never idle properly as too much air is entering the engine.
edd i was uder the impression
that a q45maf would be roughly good for
400bhp
is that correct mate?

davey;-)

soin

i replaced the idle control valve as a last ditch attempt to cure the awful idle situation , from research on this site it was the last and most expensive part commonly listed as possible cause ,

note to ed : recieved reciept for 3071 r in post , thanks for supply.Very happy with the way the transaction transpired , good price too. Many thanks

Fusion Ed

Ahh great!! Thanks for letting me know :) You should have given me a call if you were having probs with the setup.

Point the garage in the direction of the crank case breather pipes and throttle body setup. That's the most likely cause of high idle.

Fusion Ed

davey red.r said:
edd i was uder the impression
that a q45maf would be roughly good for
400bhp
is that correct mate?

davey;-)
Yeah is really. I wouldn't go much more, 420 is really pushing it a bit. (on dyno dynamics rollers anyway, may read a bit more or less depending on others)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Good info here on Q45 and VH41.

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67203

As everyone has already said, Z32 has a broader air flow range.

I was just searching and couldn't find anything on using the sti maf. Its not that it won't work as its just a sensor at the end of the day, just a bit of a bizzare solution given you've supplied an adequate Nissan MAF?

Makes you wonder about their knowledge?

soin

just been over to see the car which is now putting out 400.9 bhp @1.6 bar , the problem is now the clutch is slipping @ around 350 bhp from 5000 rpm onwards .. locally down here in cornwall we have "rallynuts" who can supply the heavy duty helix organic , however this is only good for 370 lbft my R is pushing out 386 @ present .. so i think i ll have to go down the os giken route .. the guys reckon with the new clutch im gonna see well over 400 bhp and 400 lbft , they are gonna do me a deal on labour for fitting the clutch seeing as they want to fix an air leak causing idle probs , and this will be much easier with the engine out .. the possible cause of initial power problems could have been the rotor arm which flew off and ripped into the dizzy cap , musnt have been tightened down proper .. we are getting there , thanks for all your posts

davey red.r

soin said:
just been over to see the car which is now putting out 400.9 bhp @1.6 bar , the problem is now the clutch is slipping @ around 350 bhp from 5000 rpm onwards .. locally down here in cornwall we have "rallynuts" who can supply the heavy duty helix organic , however this is only good for 370 lbft my R is pushing out 386 @ present .. so i think i ll have to go down the os giken route .. the guys reckon with the new clutch im gonna see well over 400 bhp and 400 lbft , they are gonna do me a deal on labour for fitting the clutch seeing as they want to fix an air leak causing idle probs , and this will be much easier with the engine out .. the possible cause of initial power problems could have been the rotor arm which flew off and ripped into the dizzy cap , musnt have been tightened down proper .. we are getting there , thanks for all your posts
deffo mate, i had an os giken twin plate put in mine when i got my quaiffe put in,
had no complaints with it so far,
and shes been opened up few times,
just the metal to metal sound on pulling away,
key is to let the clutch up as quick as possible,

davey;-)

antgtir

soin said:
the possible cause of initial power problems could have been the rotor arm which flew off and ripped into the dizzy cap , musnt have been tightened down proper .. we are getting there , thanks for all your posts
That'll be why then lol, doesn't help when you have no transmitter for the spark:lol:

Glad you got the big issues sorted though. Bit of a pain that the clutch cant hold the power, another excuse for more spending lol, these cars have a terrible habbit for that :lol:

Ant.

M

Martynj

Glad to hear your tuner got to the bottom of the bulk of your problems....;-)

Fire & skill

Vintage member
AWD used a scooby MAF in their pulsar, TBH he was surprised no one else used them given their availability, and that car made near on 500bhp

tomble

I take it you were using AP Motors?

enginetuner is alan jefferies their rival i presume...

not a fan of AP personally, i had the same kind of situation (car being there a loooooooong time), but i got charged for the privilege despite a verbal agreement of only paying the quoted price :(

Hope you got away better than i did.

Tom

Last edited:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I was going to ask who the "Tuners" were for future reference with my car.

tomble mentioned the two I was thinking of....

M

Martynj

Can I just state that AFAIK Enginetuner and AP Motors do not consider themselves to be rivals , just 2 garages occupying the same territory...
The 2 work together often and have a very good working relationship ....

Martyn.....

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
soin said:
my R is pushing out 386 @ present .. so i think i ll have to go down the os giken route .. the guys reckon with the new clutch im gonna see well over 400 bhp and 400 lbft ,
What about using the RPS Single Plate 6-Paddle Clutch Kit..

Rated to 550lb.ft and only £350 or there abouts..

Its also proven to work on the former AWD GTiR (420bhp / 450lb.ft) GT3071R @ 1.8bar..

Rishi