Raising the compression?

warringtonjack

It appears that the S60R is indeed AWD, of sorts at least.

Technobabble alert. To pitch its 300bhp Type Rs against Audi‘s 340bhp S4, BMW‘s 343bhp M3, Mercedes 354bhp C32 AMG and Mercedes forthcoming 371bhp C55AMG, Volvo had to come up with a better way of getting its power to the road.

Volvo calls it ’Four C‘ active chassis technology. The four ’C‘s stand for ’Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept‘. But rather than continue with all this gobbledgook I‘ll try and explain it in language we can all understand.

The car is four-wheel drive with a Haldex centre clutch, like an Audi Quattro. It has ABS with Emergency Brake Assist and Dynamic Stability Traction Control, like a Mercedes. But what makes it different from anything else is the way the systems are linked, are controlled and are also individually controllable.

All the best at trying to work out how the hell it works though!! :shock:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have a clutch pedal bracket. I couldn't see any signs of movement in the bracket when I last checked, but I'll have another look.

I can wobble my clutch fork quite abit on the outside of the gearbox.

How far out should the clutch slave rod move? The new one appears to be the same as the old one in that it feels as if it's almost falling out (but there's no fluid leaking), it flops around all over the place.

GTIR-LOZ

it should not flop around! is it moving the fork and flopping at the same time if so i guess you have broken your clutch fork

it should move out around an inch

GTi-R23

I think I have a similar problem with mine then, clutch forks wobbles about quite a bit and the slave rod seems to be sticking out miles, my clutch is uber heavy and I had to adjust it so there is hardly any travel on the pedal, it's been like this for 2 years now (About 2000miles). Had to change my master cylinder after the seals failed.
It's meant to be an AP Organic clutch, I had a receipt for it in the history, but could've been changed after that I suppose. Are these clutches heavy on the pedal as mine is like trying to keep Michael Jackson away from young boys, hard as ****!

gunmetalgtir

GTi-R23 said:
is like trying to keep Michael Jackson away from young boys, hard as ****!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It shouldn't be that heavy mate, I drove my pals with an AP clutch and it doesn't feel that different compared to a standard clutch!

RPS ones are heavy as fook though.

GTi-R23

It's a load heavier than a std clutch, really uncomfortable in traffic, left leg is proper ripped now though:lol:

Do the pivot forks ever bend at all or do they simply break? Definitely something wrong somewhere in my clutch set-up. Got a braided line and new master and slave cylinders and my pedal box was new when I had the car and is braced, so unfortunately it's a box off job trying to sort it out from now on.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

you have either snapped the fork across where it pivots (very common with rps) you need to get a plate welded over that area to strenghen fork as i did with mine, that way it cant break!
or as shaun said you may have put the thrust bearing through the pressure plate

will make you one if you dont know a welder.

youngsyp

olliecast said:
bloody hell thats shite.
might get some polyurethane and machine up my own bush then if its the right configuration, as the movement at that end of the bush feels like it could account for the feeling at the gear stick.

surely some other people have had issues with this bush, judging by the movement on mine anyway!
You'd be better off getting a block of plastic and machining it to fit. Polyurethane will not help as, it will still have too much movement in it !
If you do this, I'll be the first in line to buy one off you !

You could also try finding a larger diameter bolt to go in there, to take up the slack ?!

And yes, I had play in mine, hence why I wanted to replace it after finding out no one did a replacement bush.

I took it all apart though, cleaned it all up, packed it with grease and reassembled it, doing it up tight. It's been 'fine' since. That was a few years ago now !

Have you checked the funny shaped rubber bush by the gear shifter, for it's condition ? It has a cylindrical weight screwed into it !

Paul

olliecast

youngsyp said:
You'd be better off getting a block of plastic and machining it to fit. Polyurethane will not help as, it will still have too much movement in it !
If you do this, I'll be the first in line to buy one off you !

You could also try finding a larger diameter bolt to go in there, to take up the slack ?!

And yes, I had play in mine, hence why I wanted to replace it after finding out no one did a replacement bush.

I took it all apart though, cleaned it all up, packed it with grease and reassembled it, doing it up tight. It's been 'fine' since. That was a few years ago now !

Have you checked the funny shaped rubber bush by the gear shifter, for it's condition ? It has a cylindrical weight screwed into it !

Paul
no mate not checked that, i will tomorrow though.
i was planning on turning the bush then turning a metal cylinder to go inside of it, similar to the poly bush avaliable for the shifter support.

if a solid lump will be better then i`ll try that. any rough idea on material?

might put a feeler out to see if people would like these bushings making up!

youngsyp

olliecast said:
if a solid lump will be better then i`ll try that. any rough idea on material?

might put a feeler out to see if people would like these bushings making up!
To be honest, I'm not sure what material would be the equivalent to the original. The original is a very hard plastic though. It certainly doesn't have any give in it, like polyurethane would.
Doing a search around the web, I think it could be some form of polyethylene....

As for selling them on, that would be a great idea. One thing to consider though is that the original bush would have to be drilled out. This would mean the whole gearshift mechanism being removed from the car and a large drill bit having to be purchased.
I'd certainly buy one though as, I'm not shy of a bit of graft ! :lol:

Paul

olliecast

youngsyp said:
To be honest, I'm not sure what material would be the equivalent to the original. The original is a very hard plastic though. It certainly doesn't have any give in it, like polyurethane would.
Doing a search around the web, I think it could be some form of polyethylene....

As for selling them on, that would be a great idea. One thing to consider though is that the original bush would have to be drilled out. This would mean the whole gearshift mechanism being removed from the car and a large drill bit having to be purchased.
I'd certainly buy one though as, I'm not shy of a bit of graft ! :lol:

Paul
well i`ve ordered the material now mate, should be here friday. going to fit it saturday so i`ll let you know how it goes on.
really need to do it on mine as the fit at the moment is like chucking a sausage down an entry!

youngsyp

olliecast said:
well i`ve ordered the material now mate, should be here friday. going to fit it saturday so i`ll let you know how it goes on.
really need to do it on mine as the fit at the moment is like chucking a sausage down an entry!
Excellent news matey.

I'll be really interested to see how you get on !

Paul

dumpstar85

are dogboxes not well.. dogs to drive? i heard they scream and crunch.. might be missinformed as the guy who told me this tends to talk from between his legs..

Cheers

nismoboy

i want one now lol for any dog box owners do they shift like a factory box when using the clutch at low speed driving? i know u can crash them at higher revs just wondering what there like in everyday driving ? also how long do the dogs last? ive heard these can wear out very quickly and need to be replaced every 30k? anyone shed any light on this?

gtirjoey

fitting a gt3071r

hello people i have just purchased a gt3071r with 86ar and 2.75 inch inlet.
i will be keeping standard manifold i was jus wondering if i will need a spacer plate and how thick? or is it only the 3071 with larger inlet that requires the spacer plate inbetween manifold and head.
im sure somone knows on here? cheers

gtirjoey

Nice one cheers just did not want to take old one off and it not fit, as unfortunaly i have to use the beast every day so cant afford any mishaps!