Raising the compression?

P

pulsarboby

3071 with 2.75 inlet will bolt straight on just needs actuator bracket made up and oil return pipe bent to a different angle, which are easy jobs to do.
mine produced 411 @ just 1.4 but i have big cams etc. but even on standard cams you should still hit the 400 at around 1.4 or 1.5 boost with good mapping!

ashills

if you dont drive the car excessively hard i have a cheaper option for the gearbox
in the car i had that went to sweden we used a standard gearset that was shot peened the added a quaife 3rd as thats the gear thats very bad for exploding
this box has held up for a fair time for the new owner running upto 1.8-2 bar on a 3071 (we dyno'd it at 410 at 1.4 bar) so well over 400 now and so far has held up well to a fair amount of abuse hes given it

P

pulsarboby

can you buy the seperate gears from quaife? if so how much are they, thats a very good idea there!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Here's the culprit. The RPS Max street clutch is just too heavy, causing the pivot point to break through the clutch fork. It's still in good knick tho, only having worn 1mm in over 2 years.
The problem is, the uprated clutch fork I have just had fitted won't stop this happening again, but it will stop it snapping.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Unfortunately I supplied an uprated fork that I got from 00sid. It had a plate welded on the other side, but it will only stop the fork snapping, I can't see it stopping the pivot point going through again in a few years.

Mind you, hopefully my engine will be out again before then for a rebuild.

But did the RPS clutch force the pivot point through or was it that plus about 15years of wear and tear. Guess I'll find out if this one goes again in a couple of years.:doh:

P

pulsarboby

ive seen quite a few that have either split across the pivot point or like yours (not so common) they have taken the pivot point out altogether lol
when i fit a clutch i always ask the customer if they want an uprated one fitted! it takes 15 minutes to weld a plate across the outer edge and stops all that aggro from happening again.

dont like those rps paddle jobbies, they are far tooooo heavy

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've had all the above issues with my RPS and the fork

I've welded 6mm steel over the fork and its never bent again ;-)

MarkTurbo

jpward said:
For 400+ HP theres no direct bolt on as the flanges change from T25 type to T3 type (Bigger) and more than likely you would now be using an external gate so again not direct replacement.
One day you'll surprise us all and say something that isnt a complete load of s**t :lol:

Trondelond

I'd go for the 3071 internally wastegated (I am), as you're not allowed to run external wastegates in Norway. Getting the seal of approval on a 3071 would set you back at LEAST £6000 just for getting the correct emissions-measurements.

I'm not saying you should get the correct papers for it - but running an external wastegate would definately have some people wondering if they were to look under the bonnet.

ashills

the gears (u need a pair ) are about £250 for the pair from memory they dont like selling them seperately and i was lucky as i was on a tour of the factory so sweet talked them lol but there is always a way lol

noriek2003

ashills said:
the gears (u need a pair ) are about £250 for the pair from memory they dont like selling them seperately and i was lucky as i was on a tour of the factory so sweet talked them lol but there is always a way lol
they also like to tell people porky pies that using a pair of the gears wont fit and you need to buy the full set....:roll:

easiest thing is to just say its a replacement for a damaged quaife gear and then they are happy to sell.

GTI R RA

I have an extra gearbox, are complete quaife expensive and where is it
best to buy them?
Here in Norway everything costs to much...

Animaldaz

The gearset alone is £2000 inc vat, plus bearings/selector forks and anything else thats worn. And dont forget the labour costs.

MORF114

Quaife prices have gone up too because of the cost of china stealing all the worlds steel, its only 3% tho lol, we have a waiting list on steal plate where i work its fooking annoying.

I agree everything is expensive lol my kit from a dealer in nz (you cant buy direct from factory if you live in a overseas country to try and save some cash with the extra % the company you buy from puts on the kit.) was close to $6000nz and labour was $1500 replacinig every bearing and ppg 3/4th selector, which is shit loads cheaper in aussie than apex can supply they are a theiving bunch of cnuts.

MORF114

I welded a 5mm plate over my fork and it was about 1.5mm too high and rubbed against my pressure plate lol