Raising the compression?

stedee

gearbox problem?

right i thought i would change my gearbox oil today,
there was a bolt with a slot in it for a screwdriver which i couldnt undo so i found a 14mm bolt nearest to the bottom of the gearbox next to another 14mm with a plastic plug in it, i drained it from here but i did notice a small spring fell out, it didnt spring out it just fell with the oil.
anyway i filled the gearbox up with millers 75/90 semi synth from the bolt with a square in it thats fits a 3/8 drive ratchet, afterwards when i drove the car the gears were really easy to change no resistance at all - sloppy which seemed a bit strange - too easy basically if i rest my hand on the gearstick when in 1st it slips into neutral, why is this?

i do remember back in the day when i rebuilt a gearbox the spring reminded of the ones what help the gear selector in the gearbox they push a ballbearing into a notch on the selector inside the gearbox to make a more positive feel when in gear, but no ball bearing fell out and the spring wasnt under tension.

any help much appreciated

steve

gtirx2

stedee said:
i do remember back in the day when i rebuilt a gearbox the spring reminded of the ones what help the gear selector in the gearbox they push a ballbearing into a notch on the selector inside the gearbox to make a more positive feel when in gear, but no ball bearing fell out and the spring wasnt under tension.

any help much appreciated

steve
You are correct there thats what the spring is for,the spring puts tension on the ball when the bolt is put back in.Are you sure you did not lose the ball when the spring popped out?

stedee

i didnt see ithe drain plug unless its that one with just a slot in it for a screwdriver but like i said the spring just fell out it didnt have any tension on it, if this is the case i can just put the bearing back in cant i - i keep my oil in a drum so i will fish through it with a magnet.
cheers

olliecast

the spings definately have a ball bearing behind them which locate into a recess in the shafts.
i`d check behind the flat slotted bolt that there is definately a ball bearing still there.

your lucky you got it out, those flat headed bolt were a right bitch when i was stripping down my rebuild boxes!

stedee

found the bearing - yeah took me about 3 hours though cos i store all my used oil in a 10 gallon drum which i sieved through and checked with an old speaker attached to a screwdriver, put it back in and all ok - phew

MarkTurbo

stedee said:
there was a bolt with a slot in it for a screwdriver which i couldnt undo
I'm not surprised :lol: :lol: :lol:

That bolt with the slot in is part of the selector mechanism and has dowell pin through it to stop it turning after you've assembled the box ;-)

stedee

oh:-D ,never saw the drain plug then, i was on the wheel side maybe it was more on the engine side of the gearbox at least i noticed my cv boot was ripped so replaced that aswell.

olliecast

stedee said:
oh:-D ,never saw the drain plug then, i was on the wheel side maybe it was more on the engine side of the gearbox at least i noticed my cv boot was ripped so replaced that aswell.
glad you sorted it mate! :thumbsup:

remove drive shaft

hi guys..
what is the simple and fast mode to remove 2 front drive shaft?
if possible post pics..
thanks a lot
attend your reply
bye

ps. sorry my a lot of question:(

ashills

take wheels off
undo ball joint
drain gearbox oil
undone big driveshaft nut
pull like mad on hub and poke the driveshaft out
then pull out of box

noriek2003

you dont need to touch the ball joints, just unbolt the hub from the shock and brakelines from the shock, then pull the steering towards you, if you get it at the right angle the shafts will come out of the hub, then just pop it from the box

steve963

gearbox casings

just reading the TOTB post, noticed all the broked gearboxes

Has anybody tried covering the gearbox in fiberglass matting and resin?

might not look pretty, but you can press the matting into all the creases and build up thickness in key areas

dont know how much it would weigh though and if it would reduce cooling

just a thought

steve963

Odin said:
Only on the drivers side shaft mate, Right at the end their is a round spring clip that holds the shaft in the diff, It stops the shaft moving in and out while on the move which of cause would allow the oil to get past the seal if it wasn't fitted ;-) .

The passenger side shaft has the clip mounted in the diff itself and doesn't come out with the shaft, Unlike the drivers side.

Rob
wish id known that, spent ages searching my drive for that:doh:

Fusion Ed

Has anyone seriously looked into getting an after market casting made? i.e. contacting some Chinese lot and asking them to make a copy of the gear casing lol.

I bet people would pay a fair amount to get a box that wouldn't explode, but I suspect its all been said and done before...

P

pulsarboby

not quite right there robbie!

im still gonna do this when i get a chance to finish what i started.
i need to make another mould (which is the hard bit);-) the first one i made wasnt quite right.

basically it will be an outer glove which fits over the end case which is a perfect fit but its not gonna be made with just matting and resin.
i tested one of these i have on a press and the endcase will withstand an extra 30-40% pressure (laterally) and end to end before it cracks!

eg imagine holding up an alloy sheet which is say 1/8'' thick, you could punch a hole clear through it with your fist quite effortlessly.
now back that sheet up with a 1/2'' sheet of fibreglass and a secret ingredient8) then try punch a hole through it and il guarantee your knuckles will break before the allie sheet does;-)

i will have the kits made for these this year (before xmas) they will all be a perfect fit and will be bolted to the endcase also for extra rigidity and come with full fitting instructions.

and the good thing is that i know they will work.

Last edited by a moderator: