Raising the compression?

P

pulsarboby

noriek2003 said:
whats your name ? bruce fooking lee, i'd personally love to see a you tube vid of you punching effortlessly through a 3mm thick sheet of alloy :lol:

i take it you've taken into account the differences in the end cases which doesn't appear to be year dependent ?

just for your info its about 2mm if your gonna be picky:-D and yes i could easily do it, its not steel, alloy is a weak metal when not contoured

but surely you get the jist of it buddy!

as for the two casing types well thats not a problem, its the outer mould which is a booger to make;-)

red reading

you could always use epoxy resin to fill in the gap's as well some of the resin's i have seen have 126000psi tensile strenth which should be strong enough

red reading

the final drive is helical cut which causes problems,and correct me if i am wrong no one makes straight cut final drives yet

nismoboy

red reading said:
the final drive is helical cut which causes problems,and correct me if i am wrong no one makes straight cut final drives yet

ppg make a straight cut final drive, as for the bell housing end breaking this i would imagine would be an easy fix as theres plenty of room to weld in some plates to strengthen the casing.

ashills

there isnt a great deal of space to weld inside the bell housing where it breaks especially if running a twin plate etc
but at least when it breaks on bell housing gear kit is normally un touched

P

pulsarboby

from what ive seen the cracks are due to the lateral load on the casing and its more often than not the end case which splits (and starts from the outer rear edges) the casing simply pushes apart under severe load.

in this case simply filling the end cover with jb weld or similar epoxy resin would achieve absolutely nothing at all.
it needs a contoured glove fit moulding to support the lateral torque where most of the pressure is at.

at the end of the day i truly believe this will work or at least significantly strenghen the end case! some may think im talking out my a55 others may think i have a point, ive designed this for my own car to stop my quaife kit from spitting its gutts out all over the track, and thats my primary interest here

bellhousing cracking isnt necessarily a huge problem

red reading

bob,pm me some piccys of this as i think it's a good start in the right direction,as i think i am going to need something along these lines

P

pulsarboby

il pop up your way soon danny to stick car back on the rollers! il try make a corrected mould by the time i come up so you can fit one to your car, will only take an hour to fit it, baring in mind you will need to drop the rear box mounts.
but il pm you with details when ive finished making the outer mould;-)

i do however have 2 prototypes already finished, one of these has withstood very high pressure on a press before it started to crack, the other one is crack free as of yet

saddler

pulsarboby said:
not quite right there robbie!

im still gonna do this when i get a chance to finish what i started.
i need to make another mould (which is the hard bit);-) the first one i made wasnt quite right.

basically it will be an outer glove which fits over the end case which is a perfect fit but its not gonna be made with just matting and resin.
i tested one of these i have on a press and the endcase will withstand an extra 30-40% pressure (laterally) and end to end before it cracks!

eg imagine holding up an alloy sheet which is say 1/8'' thick, you could punch a hole clear through it with your fist quite effortlessly.
now back that sheet up with a 1/2'' sheet of fibreglass and a secret ingredient8) then try punch a hole through it and il guarantee your knuckles will break before the allie sheet does;-)

i will have the kits made for these this year (before xmas) they will all be a perfect fit and will be bolted to the endcase also for extra rigidity and come with full fitting instructions.

and the good thing is that i know they will work.
Does the end case get Hot.. Say over 60°c As i know a product that will make a identical Cast.. And have the impact resistance and tensile strength of nylon..And cheap as chips to buy and apply ...